National Cash Balance Research Report 2017
Cash Balance Retirement Plans Surge 17%, Plan Assets Rise to $1.1T
Kravitz annually publishes an in-depth analysis of the Cash Balance retirement plan market, using data from the most recent IRS Form 5500 filings. Our report tracks annual growth in new plans, regional trends by state, asset growth, plan investment trends, and other statistics of interest. We provide this report as a reference for retirement plan professionals, the media, and others interested in learning more about Cash Balance plans.
We are pleased to present our 2017 National Research Report which was held on Tuesday, September 12, 2017. In the webcast, Dan Kravitz shared market insights and analysis based on our research findings.
Highlights from our 10th annual National Cash Balance Research Report:
- The number of new Cash Balance plans increased 17% compared with just 3% for 401(k) plans
- Market volatility and economic uncertainty have not impacted Cash Balance growth
- Cash Balance plans now make up 34% of all defined benefit plans, compared with 2.9% in 2001
- Plan sponsors added $29.3B in contributions, increasing total assets nationwide to $1.1T
- Small and mid-size businesses are the engine for Cash Balance growth: 92% of Cash Balance plans are in place at firms with fewer than 100 employees