National Cash Balance Research Report 2016
Cash Balance retirement plans increase 19%, total assets surpass $1 Trillion.
Kravitz annually publishes an in-depth analysis of the Cash Balance retirement plan market, using data from the most recent IRS Form 5500 filings. Our report tracks annual growth in new plans, regional trends by state, asset growth, plan investment trends, and other statistics of interest. We provide this report as a reference for retirement plan professionals, the media, and others interested in learning more about Cash Balance plans.
We are pleased to present our 2016 Research Report and our on-demand Cash Balance Outlook 2016 Webcast. In the webcast, Dan Kravitz shares insights and analysis based on our research findings. The webcast is is free and open to the public.
Highlights from this year’s Cash Balance Research Report:
- The number of new Cash Balance plans increased 19% compared with just 2% for 401(k) plans
- Market volatility and economic uncertainty have not impacted Cash Balance growth
- Cash Balance plans now make up 29% of all defined benefit plans, compared with 2.9% in 2001
- Plan sponsors added $25B in contributions, increasing total assets nationwide to $1T
- Small and mid-size businesses are the engine for Cash Balance growth: 91% of Cash Balance plans are in place at firms with fewer than 100 employees