National Cash Balance Research Report 2018
New Cash Balance Retirement Plans Increase 15%, Plan Sponsor Contributions Up 30%
Kravitz annually publishes an in-depth analysis of the Cash Balance retirement plan market, using data from the most recent IRS Form 5500 filings. Our report tracks annual growth in new plans, regional trends by state, asset growth, plan investment trends, and other statistics of interest. We provide this report as a reference for retirement plan professionals, the media, and others interested in learning more about Cash Balance plans.
We are pleased to present our 2018 National Research Report as well as our exciting Cash Balance Outlook 2018 webinar sharing market insights, analysis, innovations and best practices based on the latest Cash Balance research findings.
Highlights from our 10th annual National Cash Balance Research Report:
- The number of new Cash Balance plans increased 15% compared with just 1% for 401(k) plans
- Market volatility and economic uncertainty have not impacted Cash Balance growth
- Cash Balance plans now make up 37% of all defined benefit plans, compared with 2.9% in 2001
- Plan sponsors added $38.2B in contributions, increasing total assets nationwide to $1.03T
- Small and mid-size businesses are the engine for Cash Balance growth: 92% of Cash Balance plans are in place at firms with fewer than 100 employees